I thought I would join the hoardes of bloggers out there that post their weekly food waste every Friday.
This is not going to be pretty. It’s been a bad week for food waste.
For starters, let me list the things I’ve thrown out this week before blogging about it:
- A bunch of leftover snow peas from the farmer’s market. We tried to steam some of them, but they were already a bit off.
- About 1/5 bag of edamame from Trader Joe’s
- A serving of vegetarian chili (yum) that never made it to the freezer. There ARE however two bags of chili still in the freezer, so I’m looking forward to these
And now, for the pictures of things I threw out today…
From up-down left-right:
- 3 black bean cakes (the first batch was kind of burnt, so we didn’t make it through them all)
- half a pack of bibb lettuce (I know, these “living” packs are supposed to last long enough that you don’t waste them)
- 1/4 container of half & half (this has been in the fridge for 3 months)
- potato salad (my fault, the hubs doesn’t eat it)
- asparagus (the tops are slimy, ew)
- the second half of a sausage that was so spicy we just couldn’t do it again
- 3 or 4 strawberries
This was indeed an exercise in humility. But, alas, this is what Food Waste Friday is about, right? Next week I will do much, much better.