Cold weather is whispering, just around the corner, but the garden is still going strong. There’s a lovely bed of lettuce that just needs the occasional nighttime blanket…
A few carrots and lonely green beans survived excessive heat and chicken pecking and are still working…
… and my garlic has sprouted 100%. Hopefully I planted it at the right time – I’m a garlic n00b.
Tasks remaining before the winter:
- Anxiously wait for the rest of the tomatoes to ripen, while picking off any suckers. I swear this tomato plant is a monster that won’t give it up! Eventually I’ll trim it, pull it up and hang it in the basement to allow the remaining tomatoes a chance to ripen.
- Mulch mature plants that will overwinter.
- Smother grass and weeds under future garden beds. Spring is going to see a great expansion of the garden.
- Harvest lettuce and eat delicious salads sweetened by the cold!
- Set up a glass shelf in the kitchen window for winter herbs (more on this soon).
- Gather seed catalogs and knitting and get ready to dream the winter away.